Saturday, April 10, 2010

Oxtail Soup

oxtail soup

Oxtail soup is my chicken soup. It always makes me think of being a little kid, probably because I ate it more when I was younger than in recent years. Living on my own has made me miss Korean food more and more each year, so I decided it was time to make this childhood staple.

We adapted a pretty simple recipe from Chowhound -- basically the oxtail is boiled in water for several hours to create a broth and make the meat really tender. I didn't trim enough fat from the oxtail prior to cooking, so you can see a nice sheen on the soup's surface in the picture above. Next time, I'll have to refrigerate the soup overnight to aid in removing the fat. Even so, the soup was delicious and just like I remembered it.

Oxtail Soup Recipe
Makes 4 Servings

4 lbs oxtail
8 cups water
5 cloves of garlic
1/2 inch of ginger, sliced thinly
1 onion, cut in half
1/4 daikon radish, sliced thinly
scallions, chopped

Place oxtails in a large pot and cover with 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Add garlic, ginger, and onion. Let simmer for 3 or 4 hours, skimming oil as needed. Add radish and let it cook for ten minutes more. Pour soup into bowl and garnish with scallions. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment